B.J. Meyer Sons Funeral Homes was founded in 1884 by Ben Meyer, located in East Price Hill at Chateau and Price Avenues doing business as Meyer’s Exchange and Livery Service. At that time the Meyer’s were boarding and trading horses, renting wagons and also built the horse drawn hearse.
In the early 1900’s Ben Meyer attended a two day seminar at the Sinton Hotel to acquire his Funeral Director and Embalmers license. The Meyer’s opened their first funeral home at 3747 Warsaw Avenue until 1923 when they purchased a bigger house across the street at 3726 Warsaw which was known as the Colonial Funeral Home.
In the year 1950 Vince and Gene Meyer purchased a house at 4841 Glenway Avenue, which is in operation today as the Overlook Funeral Home. The Meyer Funeral Home has now expanded to include B.J. Meyer Sons (Bridgetown) Funeral Home, 5864 Bridgetown Road (east of St. Jude Church).
The new Bridgetown Funeral Home, an old English Tudor family residence, officially opened March 2, 2002 is being used as offices and arrangement rooms. Two new visitation rooms have been added to the rear of the existing residence. Parking is ample with 80 plus parking spaces.
The funeral homes today are under the guidance of Gregory A. Meyer, the fourth generation owner of the family business, who is striving to bring quality service and a high standard of policy to the community..